You don’t expect to see acrylic table decoration on a table set for a party. Against all the odds, acrylic really comes into its own here, allowing you to give a modern twist to your table decoration. In this blog, we show you how to make unique acrylic nameplates, menu cards and napkin rings.
What do you need?
Nameplates and menu cards:
- Transparent acrylic sheets 3 mm thick. Format: 10 x 10 cm
- A marker pen for labelling
- Cork coasters with a diameter of 10 cm
- A cutting mat
- A knife /Stanley knife
- Grey tinted acrylic sheet 3 mm thick. Format: 10 x 10 cm
- An oven and oven gloves
- A baking tray with baking paper
- A glass bottle with the desired diameter of the napkin rings
For this project, we have opted for transparent and grey tinted acrylic sheets, combined with cork. This gives an attractive effect if you plan to dress the table with copper and wooden materials.
Acrylic nameplates and menus
For the making nameplates and menus, you use a marker pen to write names and dishes on the plexiglass. Your handwriting’s not very beautiful? Then choose a font in Word, for example, and print the text. Then place this under the acrylic sheet. Now all you have to do is trace the letters.
Use the cork coasters as a base for the nameplates. Use a knife to cut out a 3 mm seam, where you place the nameplate.
Homemade napkin rings
Napkin rings are also an essential part of a festively set table. You bend napkin rings made of acrylic into the desired shape by heating them in the oven. You have to act quickly: you will only get the desired result if the acrylic is soft enough. This is how you do it:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees;
2. Place the acrylic on the baking sheet in the middle of the oven;
3. Remove the acrylic sheet from the oven after 5 minutes. Now it is soft enough to deform;
Pay attention! Not every oven heats the same. Stand by the oven, wait until the sheet is slightly distorted and then take it out of the oven immediately.
4. Place the acrylic sheet on the glass bottle and carefully, quickly and evenly bend it around the bottle;
5. Hold the acrylic in place until it has cooled.
More tips and inspiration
Further table decoration ideas include coasters, glasses, plates and bowls. You can also use acrylic sheets to make a tray. Looking for more table decoration ideas? Then read our blog “Making your own table decoration – part 2” to learn how to transform acrylic sheet into a bowl.
This blog article was written in collaboration with ichdesigner.com.