Would you like to create a healthier home office? Why not make a DIY laptop stand to support your laptop at eye level. Ideal for a laptop with a separate keyboard! It’s very easy to make a homemade laptop stand, and the clear acrylic complements any decor. Read on to learn how to tackle this project using a paint burner or bending device.
To make your DIY standing laptop stand, you’ll need:
The basics of making a homemade laptop stand
The reason for using a laptop stand is that your laptop will be at viewing height. Supporting your laptop at eye level means there is less strain on your neck, shoulders and upper back, and you’ll be able to work much more comfortably. In our example, we’re going to make a laptop stand measuring 22.5 cm deep x 31.5 cm wide x 12.5 cm high. We’re using a 6 mm thick clear acrylic sheet with dimensions of 31.5 cm x 57.5 cm. To keep it subtle, we opted to make a transparent laptop stand, but of course, you can also choose coloured acrylic sheet to suit your taste.,
Making a DIY laptop stand with a bending machine
If you have a perspex bending machine, this is the easiest way to make the laptop stand. Follow the steps below for a successful result.
- Turn on your bender and let it heat up.
- Remove the protective film from both sides of the clear acrylic sheet.
- Determine the folding line, mark it and place the acrylic sheet on your bending machine.
- Allow the acrylic to heat up.
- Gently pull on the end of the panel occasionally to check if you can already bend the acrylic.
- Now take the bending jig (set the number of degrees in advance) and allow the bent acrylic sheet to cool.
- The acrylic sheet will now stay in its new shape.
Make a DIY laptop stand with a paint burner
- Plug the paint burner into a wall socket.
- Remove the protective film from both sides of the acrylic sheet.
- Keep the outflow opening of the paint burner at least 5 centimetres from the acrylic.
- Gently move the blow dryer along the line you want to bend, making sure to heat the bend line evenly.
- Gently pull on the end of the acrylic sheet every now and then to check if you can bend it yet.
- Has the acrylic been heated enough? Then place a bar along the bending line to make the fold as straight as possible.
- Allow the folded acrylic sheet to cool for a while so that it retains its new shape.
Would you like to make your own laptop stand with plexiglass?
Has our blog inspired you to make your own laptop stand? You’ll discover a wide range of clear, tinted and coloured acrylic sheet in varying thicknesses and sizes in our webshop. To make a sturdy laptop stand, we advise choosing 6mm thick acrylic sheet. We’ll cut the sheet to the size you need for free. If you have any questions about this DIY project or need more information about our products, pleased don’t hesitate to get in touch.